“Children’s mental health”
The complete well-being and optimal development of a child in the emotional, behavioral, social & cognitive domains. In other words we can also say that children’s mental health is defined as different from adult mental health and more multifaceted because of the unique developmental milestones that children experience.
- Emotional development refers to development of attachment, trust, security, love and affection, and a variety of ambition and feelings.
- Emotion deals with the expression and comprehension of feelings.
- A child initially expresses his or her emotions (like happiness, anger, sadness etc) through facial expressions. With time, children develop the ability to comprehend the emotions of others too, which in turn affects social interaction with others.
Behavioural development is an essential survival tool, whereby experience modifies the way we interact with our environment. This process begins in the womb and continues into old age.
- Social development is the process of the child development based on the interaction of the individual and group through which he or she is influenced with societal norms and values.
- Social development deals with the socialization process.
- Children’s are usually taught the ways and value initially the family, which affects the social interactions of the child.
- Eventually, children learn to be independent of parents by making friendships and cooperating with others.
- Neural connections develop rapidly
- Cognitive abilities develop like;
- Problem solving
Today’s children will become tomorrow’s citizens, workers and parents. When we invest wisely in children and families, the next generation will pay that back through a lifetime of productivity and responsible citizenship.
When we fail to provide children with what they need to build a strong foundation for healthy and productive lives, we put our future prosperity and security at risk.
To develop a child is a foundation for community development and economical development as capable children become the foundation of a prosperous and sustainable society.
Development refers to the change that takes place in everyone’s lives, in bodies, in personalities, ways of thinking, feelings, behaviours, relationships and in the roles they play during the different periods of their lives.
Positive parenting tips:
As parents, we should work on the following points:
- Emotional, personal and social development
- Language and literacy
- Introduce ‘The World’ around us
- Health, hygiene and safety
- Involve with them in creative art
- Be a good role model in front of your child because children follow us
- Love them and express to them how much they are special to us and how much we love them
- Be a safe haven
- Talk with your child and listen to them
- Pay attention to your own well-being
- Don’t spank, no matter what
- Keep things in perspective and remember your parenting goals.